Friday, December 7, 2007

Story telling to the baby that is not born yet!!!

Whenever my brother does something naughty or funny, Amma (my Mom) used to smile and say "I shouldn't have read story of Krishna when ur brother was in my womb". She meant that the story a pregnant lady reads reaches baby and affects the baby's behavior in future. That was one belief our ancestors had. A few articles I read in magazines were talking of scientific proof for the same. I could recall all these when I met my friend Suni.

Suni is my college friend who now teaches Yoga and Kannada language in a School situated in Bangalore. She is going to be Mom by next month. It was a long time since we met. Like any middle class family, she has "necessity" to earn. In the initial months of pregnancy, she had a few problems. Doctor suggested her to keep her worries away and take proper rest.

She got adjusted to the new situation and started going to school with some rest in between during lunch hours. Her school management was kind enough to support her. I met her during 5th month and at that time, she could feel the baby's movement inside. She was so happy. What made me astonished was that she reads stories to her baby even before it's born!!

Age old people in the family and the Doctor too had told her that the baby could hear what ever she talks and thinks. She had avoided thinking negative and she bought a book for her baby having bed time stories. She used to read them slowly with a soft voice so that the baby can follow :-).

Most of the times, as I have seen, working women have to put up with lot of troubles during pregnancy. There will be necessity to “work” for most of them and the jobs demand more concentration and that period will be really stressful. But, Suni proved it otherwise. She enjoyed this period with different way of thinking.

I think I should not forget the way the kids in her class supported her. She is a "class teacher" for one class (say 5th Std or 6th). And they try not to make her tired. They avoid talking too much in the class, get her books/ attendance sheet / evaluated papers so that she can avoid carrying heavy things :-). Isn't that nice? They want their teacher to be healthy and happy.

She is going to be a Mom very soon. I wish her good luck and let her baby bring her much more happiness.

She showed me that people can be happy irrespective of the situations they have. There are many more people who have inspired me and will tell those stories later. Babies learn from the things they listen during their stay in mother’s womb - I will confirm this after a few years J.

No comments: