Thursday, October 4, 2007

Learning music… an endless process

I have this habit of starting something with great enthusiasm and then stop it due to my lazyness as well as lack of time. All of a sudden I remember the quote – “When is the last time that you did something for the first time?” and realize that I haven’t learnt a single song in last few months. Then start again..

My father was very passionate about Carnatic music. He had a great cassette collection of Shri. Yesudas’s concerts. He wanted me to learn classical music and I was not very inclined towards that. With his compulsion, I started learning classical music when I was 11.

While learning Carnatic classical music, there is one part called ‘Dhaatu varase’. For those who do not have an idea what it is, its logical combination of swaras (SA RI GA MA PA DA NI) missing a few in between. I am very bad at Mathematics and this permutation and combination.. I was really bad at. My music teacher used to try her level best to make me understand the logic behind Dhaatu varase and I used to make her fail :-( every time. Then, due to some reasons, I had to discontinue learning music. But with 2 or 3 years of learning, my voice was polished a little and I could catch the tunes faster, sing new songs that played on Radio, TV etc. With the kind of recognition I got out of singing – in School, College and Office, I was totally enthusiastic to learn more.. but I did not have opportunity till I started working.

Then, I joined music class run by Vidushi. Smt. Asha Jagadhish. She was very helping and supportive. She made me take up Carnatic Junior examination. She used to get up early and teach me at 5.00 AM as I had no time to attend classes other than morning hours. I could clear my Junior exam though I did not do very well. That is when, I realized that I have not learnt anything at all!!!

After the exams, I had to shift to some other place in Bangalore and due to my work pressure at office and responsibilities that I got through my marriage, I couldn’t attempt to continue my classes.

I cannot express how I feel when I really sing well and make the listener happy. It’s a wonderful feeling. It makes me feel recognized and worthy..

Now that we shifted our house near to Asha madam’s, I have re-started my music learning process. I got a gift of new MP3 Player from a friend who had been to US and I record what ever madam teaches in class (ofcourse with her permission) and keep listening. I do not find enough time to practice. She says I have to have more practice. Some day, I will dedicate all my energy on that. :-) Dont ask me "when".. Even I dont know that.

The work I do in office, shopping I make, New things learnt in cooking, The drawings I do… nothing makes me so happy than the happiness I get when I can sing what my ma’m teaches. Even in office, people have taken some initiative and there is a group of people who are interested in music. Few in the group play instruments, few sing Classical and few are into POP(??). It was nice to introduce myself to others by saying “I have learnt a little classical music and I love singing…”.

In past one and a half months time, I could attend only 5 classes. But, have not stopped it completely.. thatz the difference. What say??? So.. I'm doing something new.. learning something new :-).

My MP3 player is singing now.. I have to listen and memorize.. so.. thatz it for now. Will catch up later.

No comments: